10 Reasons Why You Won’t Build a Network...
by Sukh Singh, Associate Partner, Lighthouse International
As we've said before, success doesn't care who you are. Few of us are taught the true power of building our networks, so we end up spending more time, more money and go through more hardship trying to go through life on our own. Here are 10 reasons why we make life harder for ourselves than it ought to be...
1. You think every legend has succeeded on their own and you don't realise how important people and relationships are to your success.
2. Theoretically you know that people are really important to your success, but you’re so busy you don’t take the time to develop those relationships.
3. You may even take some action, but you think that having hundreds of connections on LinkedIn (while not really knowing any of them) means you have a great network.
4. You might really want to build a network, but no one’s ever taught you how to, so you don’t know where to start.
5. You think networking is about showing people what you do rather than who you are. So you focus on developing your skills just like everyone else.
6. Most networking events you’ve been to feel like you're hitting and hoping and you're lucky if you meet a few great people.
7. You don’t realise how valuable you are and how much you can positively influence others.
8. You let people stereotype you and your dreams which makes you reluctant to share them with people.
9. You don’t focus and work on your dreams every day because you're too distracted with everything else going on.
10. You've tried this network stuff before and it hasn't worked out, so you quit.
This is stuff we all should have learned when we were in school and it’s what we desperately need to learn now. We all need help to learn how to build the right network in the first place!